shhhh: we share their secret recipe too!
Local foodies and culinary experts Neil Gunning (SAGE Catering) and Kenton Shaw (Dorrigo Wholefoods) cooked up a storm at Camp Creative. The cook and the chef came together to share their secrets with their hungry students. “Cooking Around the World” provided an ‘eclectic exploration into the world of the chef’s mindset, cookery principals, hospitality and gastronomy of life’. Participants experimented with the cuisines of India, South-East Asia, Italy and the Middle East.
The week culminated in the final day’s celebratory banquet. When asked, participants agreed that they had “learnt new skills” and “refined techniques”, but everyone agreed that the real highlight was the coming together of such an array of people of all ages and backgrounds- the sharing between old and young. Oh yeah- and the great food that they took home each evening.
The guys have been nice enough to share their recipe for:
Spiced rice with chicken (Dajaj machbous)
* 80 ml (⅓ cup) vegetable oil sourced IGA Bellingen
* 1 x 1.7 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces sourced Bellingen Butchery
* 1 onion, finely chopped Bellingen Greengrocer
* 1 tbsp Indian curry powder sourced Dorrigo Wholefoods
* 3 bay leaves sourced sourced Dorrigo Wholefoods
* 1 tbsp paprika sourced Dorrigo Wholefoods
* 4 cardamom pods sourced Dorrigo Wholefoods
* 4 cloves sourced Dorrigo Wholefoods
* 5 black peppercorns sourced Kombu Wholefoods Bellingen
* 1 cinnamon quill sourced Kombu Wholefoods Bellingen
* 4 strips lemon rind sourced Bellingen Greengrocers
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped sourced local growers
* 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped sourced Bellingen Greengrocers
* 700 ml chicken stock sourced Bellingen IGA
* 450 g (2½ cups) basmati rice, rinsed, drained sourced Kombu Wolefoods
* coriander sprigs, to serve sourced Bellingen Greengrocers/ own gardens
Standing time 10 minutes
Heat oil in a large casserole pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Season chicken. Working in batches, cook chicken, turning once, for 8 minutes or until browned. Remove and set aside. Add onion to pan and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until soft and light golden. Add spices, lemon and garlic and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, for a further 2 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium, return chicken to pan with stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes or until cooked through.
Stir in rice and bring back to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is al dente and liquid has absorbed. Remove from heat, keep covered and set aside for 10 minutes. Top with coriander sprigs to serve.